Mayor Sly James today announced 11 appointees to the Smart City Advisory Board, an organization focused on successful implementation of the Smart + Connected City framework in Kansas City.
“This advisory board is charged with guiding a very unique and innovative project that, once again, makes Kansas City a leader in technology,” James said. “We have selected individuals who have the skills, expertise and leadership to make this project the success we envision.”
James named Tom Gerend, Executive Director, Kansas City Streetcar Authority, as chair of the board. Named as vice chair is Mark Irvin, founder/developer of Social Impact Technology and Engineering (SITE), a non-profit organization established to educate urban youth in science, technology, engineering and math.
Named as members:
- Sixth District City Councilman Kevin McManus.
- Mike Grigsby, Director, Information Services, Kansas City Police Department.
- E. Cady Bean-Smith, Associate Director, Experience Design, Moonshot Lab at Barkley.
- Chuck Miller, Senior Project Manager, HNTB Corporation.
- Andy Shively, Deputy Director, Water Services Department, City of Kansas City.
- Sherri McIntyre, Director, Public Works Department, City of Kansas City.
- Lee Hinkle, Business Solutions Manager, General Services Department, City of Kansas City.
- Wes Minder, P.E., Infrastructure Specialist, City Manager’s Office, City of Kansas City.
- Drew Solomon, Vice President, Business Development, Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City.
The goals and objectives of the Smart City Advisory Board are to recommend policies for the ongoing management, internal and external collaboration and for the successful implementation of Smart City technology; recommend next steps for Smart City implementation through expanding the Smart City portion of the KC Digital Roadmap; and to establish metrics for evaluating the implementation of new Smart City technology and applications that improve operational efficiency, save the city money or generate new revenue, and/or improve citizen experience.